Tuesday, July 17, 2012

AIRC - Aircrew Program

May 2nd 2012 is the date I enlisted in the United States Navy, 

[taken from thewhitehouse.gov]
May 2nd 2012 is the date I stood with 6 young men in a small room with pictures of President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden along with other pictures of key people in the United States and the military.

May 2nd 2012 is the date I swore in as an enlisted member of the United States Navy.

Future Sailor Peak, is my referred to name when spoken too. Or simply Recruit Peak.


But besides swearing in on that day, the only reason I swore in to begin with is my rate that I obtained. 

AIRC or AIRCREW
Aircrew Candidates, such as myself, must enter this broad rate for an enlistment of 4 years. But, must also sign at the same time an agreement to prolong the enlistment of 24 months. Two years. 

I signed, and I am enlisted for 6 years of active duty, and two years of reserve duty.

The first step for AIRC is getting in shape. I'm 5'3 and I'm currently 150 lbs. I'm not above my weight limit which is 152, I am close. But I still got the rate, my ASVAB scores were successful. I am in the Delayed Entry Program or DEP and I have time to get in shape. I ship out October 23rd for basic training and my recruiter wants me to drop a pound a week until then. 

In bold letters on the pamphlet MEPs gave me for my job rating it says: They will undergo some of the most demanding physical training offered by the military services.

Sweet right?

Until I think about how physically fit I am. 

Then it gets real.

If I ever had to run for my life, I would most likely die.

For aircrew you have to swim hard, run hard, and work hard. 

Secretly I established a very hard to reach goal for myself, because when I reach it, everything will be possible at that point.

After basic training I'll be leaving for NACCS or Naval Aircrew Candidate School in Pensacola, Florida. Then I will receive my actual rate and not just the general rate. But, I hope that while I'm down there and I am in good physical shape that I will qualify for Rescue Swimmer. AIRR...

That program is the real reason I wanted to join the Navy, saving peoples lives. 

Anyway. 

Future Sailor (airman?) Peak requesting permission to go ashore.

Current Weight: 150

No comments:

Post a Comment